Chris And Connie

A blog from Chris & Connie, in Ontario, Canada. Rather than sending out unsolicited emails with updates of goings-on in our family, come check out our blog at your convenience. It also makes for an easier time sharing things, without having to remember what we've shared with who!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Umm.. update for family/friends

Hi all -

There's been another update to my health status as of my last check-up at the cancer center. Apparently, the spot on my lung hasn't been getting any smaller (it may be getting just slightly larger), so they're recommending removal. They'll be taking out the top lobe of my right lung as a precaution. As was explained to me, one of 3 things should happen to the spot on my lung after chemo: i) it disappears, ii) it turns into scar tissue and shrinks slightly and gradually, iii) some rogue cells left behind after chemo may turn pre-cancerous, or into another form of cancer called teratoma (which I'm told is highly treatable). They honestly don't know the exact size or nature of the spot, so they're going to remove it as a precaution ('when in doubt, cut it out' as they say...).

I have to wait for a consult with the thoracic surgeon from St. Joseph's in Hamilton (hopefully next Wed.), at which time she will book my surgery date (I'll probably be on the operating table in the next 3-6 weeks). The recovery time is expected to be 6-8 weeks.
The good news in all this is that: i) The progosis is really good, ii) all the cancer markers from the blood test came back negative, which means no chemo at this time. Dr. Neville (oncologiest says that if this was one of his family, the first place he would send them is St. Joseph's, so I guess I'm in great hands.

Unfortunately, we don't have many more answers right now. I just got the news on Tues. afternoon, and the results from the marker test this morning - but we'll keep you updated as info. comes in. I'm still planning to continue with the distance-ed classes; it'll be nice to keep occupied with something else... 8)

Anyways, we appreciate everybody's prayer support as always --

Love,

Chris, Connie & Crystal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home